CBD Benefits Dogs in the Same Way as People Suggests Research
CBD oil, also known as hemp oil, is made from extracts of Cannabis. CBD Oil is often used by people to address pain caused by chronic illnesses. CBD is a compound found in Cannabis plants. Unlike THC (the psychoactive compound found in Cannabis), CBD does not show psychoactive properties. Hence, your typical CBD oil is free from THC and is mostly manufactured from Hemp and not Marijuana. Just like humans, research has shown that CBD oil can have beneficial effects on dogs. Mentioned below are some of the potential benefits of treating your dog with CBD oil:
- Provides relaxation without intoxication– As mentioned above, CBD oil is free from THC and hence does not provide the “high” most people associate with Cannabis. It does, however, relax the body and can help your pet calm down without getting intoxicated. This is especially helpful if your pet has been disturbed by something in an unknown environment or is feeling incredibly anxious among new people.
- Helps with anxiety and phobias- Your dog can suffer from certain phobias or have separation anxiety. It has been found that CBD oil can be effective for dealing with stress and panic. As per a study conducted in 2010, CBD oil can help deal with anxiety attacks in public places if your dog is shy or can help him/her sleep at night.
- Treatment of acute illnesses- It has been found by vets that CBD oil is effective in the treatment of acute conditions like sprains, muscle strain, torn ligaments, bone fractures, and so on. It has also been effective in treating post-operative pain and reduces swellings and stiffness. Animal studies have shown that CBD oil can help in the prevention of colitis (Inflammatory bowel disease).
- CBD reduces pain- CBD is actually being considered as a serious pain-relieving medication and is under further research. CBD is extremely effective for dealing with nerve-related pains and inflammations. For dogs, it has been known to help with pains due to intestinal inflammations and pancreatitis. This study published in the European Journal of pain used animal models to better understand its pain-relieving properties, especially those caused by arthritis and inflammations.
- CBD oil can help with neurodegenerative conditions- CBD Oil has been known to protect the nervous system and help dogs suffering from degenerative myelopathy. CBD has shown great results in dealing with spine and nerve-related conditions. CBD oil has also shown beneficial effects on older dogs by protecting their brains from toxicity. See this study for more details.
- CBD helps with appetite and nausea- If your pet dog is struggling to eat or is having a hard time keeping his/her food down, then CBD might be of help here. It has been reported by the National Cancer Institute that CBD helps in increasing appetite and can be of immense help in maintaining your dog’s appetite during illness.
- CBD helps in improving cardiovascular health- Studies have shown a direct link between CBD and heart health. CBD can help in dealing with injuries from damaged blood vessels and help control irregular heart rates. It can dilate blood vessels to help with pain associated with stress and anxiety.
CBD oil is a safe way to provide your dog supplement and medication. Since it is THC-free and mostly made from hemp, it is legal in all the 50 states in the United States for dogs and humans. CBD has shown very limited to no side effects and the studies are currently being conducted to understand its benefits better. It can be a useful herb for your pet during stressful times. However, before giving your dog a dosage of CBD oil, verify the originality and contents of the product. Make sure that the product is organic and is free from additives.