Its been awhile

Good Morning,

Its been awhile since my last blog, with the last assessment we did it really took a toll on me. Dealing with that and our youngest somedays it a challenge, and you need to just step away and recharge yourself. I find that sometimes as the boys get older it’s the reality that sets in. You go about everyday life and do what you need to, to survive it. I have never done an assessment like this one. When the kids are 21 they will be done school as they can stay till that age. This assessment we did was very long. 2 days.. my god we where beat, they look at EVERYTHING, and how it works out is that there is supposed to be money attached to the support they need in order to function a somewhat normal life of a 21 yr old. We never realized that they need 24 hour care, you just do it. When we were done one the lady looked at me and said, this is only for one child who needs 24 hour care and you have 3 that need it. my response to her was, no wonder why I am always tired.. ..

So here i will continue the story of the birth of the twins, looking back my poor husband must have been a wreak, after they were born I lost consciousness, I was so sick, the boys were so per-mature, the doctors told my husband that the next 24 hrs were very critical as my body was full of toxic crap from the illness and the boys were fighting to survive. I was out for 3 days, as my poor body was fighting. On the 4th day, I was well enough to go see the boys, Barry wheeled me down in a chair and well as far as I was concerned, if you didn’t look at all the tubs, and wires these boys were perfect, small but perfect. We could not hold them, but we could put our hand into the little hole in the incubator to touch them. I am going to attach a video link to a video I made of them a few years back, there are pictures in their of how small they were. I wont go into much detail as for 2 months it was trucking back and forth to the hospital, a move to a closer hospital as they needed to grow and gain strength to be able to come home. So for 2 months it was living in the hospital and just praying they would grown and get stronger. We had set backs, as was normal, living day-to-day worrying, wondering. I had post pardom stress and looking back that was a given with all that had happens and was happening.

They were put on a ventilator when they were first-born as their lungs where not mature enough to be able to breathe on their own, they were ventilated for about 4 days when they came off but still had oxygen to help them get what they needed, the tubes, medication, and monitors were so scary at first but you get use to it all as this is what is needed for them to survive. There where many other babies in the neonatal unit at St. Josephs health centre in London Ontario. The had apnea bradycardia spells, which is normal in premature babies, what that is, is that their brains can not do 2 things at once and they actually stop breathing, they forget to breath, its scary as it very fatal. My first visit on my own one of the boys did that and the nurse gently rocked him and it took her a few seconds, but for me felt like forever, and he started to breath again, no one at the time explained this to me and let just say scared the living you know what out of me, they then told me that had to shave Tyler’s head in order to put in an IV, I was so upset I left the unit and went back to my room and cried my eyes out, at that time it was the lack of understanding of what was happening. I was sitting there crying and my nurse came in looked at me and said OMG whats wrong, I told her everything and she hugged me and then explained it all to me, she was such a wonderful person to take the time with me.

They had lost weight as wich was normal, they went down to 2 lbs 6 oz and 2lbs 7oz. They continued to be on many medications and oxygen for a long time

Here is pictures of the boys, then and now 🙂 Tyler is the first and Travis the second.

Tyler was born with a grad 1 bleed on the brain which resolved itself a grade bleed on the brain is a Intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH) of the newborn is bleeding into the fluid-filled areas (ventricles) inside the brain. Thank goodness it was only a grade 1 as the higher the grade the more severity there is. IVH falls into four groups, called grades. The higher the grade, the more severe the bleeding.

Grades 1 and 2 involve a small amount of bleeding and do not usually cause long-term problems.

Grades 3 and 4 involve more severe bleeding, which presses on or leaks into brain tissue. Blood clots can form and block the flow of cerebrospinal fluid, leading to increased fluid in the brain (hydrocephalus).

Thats all for today fokes as I am drained, it so much to remember as it all happened 18 years ago, but I will say I remember it all like it was yesterday. Wishing everyone a great day and thanks for reading.

It was a very tough time for them and us, we could not hold them as they were to fragile, they had a feeding tubes, medication, there where wires and tubes ever where, all we could do was hope and pray that they would make it. I order to see them we had to wash very well, put gown, cover our feet, and makes on, visitors where limited, we could only touch them through the hole in the incubator, it is a device used to care for premature babies in a neonatal intensive-care unit. So our life was busy, Barry had to go back to work and I stayed with my Sister in London so I was close to the boys, I lived in the hospital, all I could do was sit there and look at the boys and hope and pray they would make it.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Posted in

Lisa Walker

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.